student ambassador program
FAM Student Ambassador Progam
FAM Student Ambassadors (FSA) are volunteers who act as a liaison between their community and the Foundation for the Advancement of Midwifery. Student Ambassadors promote FAM’s mission: FAM seeks to improve maternal and child health by funding projects that advance midwifery as the gold standard for North American maternity care through research, public education, advocacy, and health equity initiatives. They advocate for the Midwives Model of Care as a solution to help improve maternal health in North America and inform FAM of important news and events in their communities and schools that impact midwifery and midwifery education. Downloadable program description.
This program is for midwifery students, in any year of study, pursuing credentialing through the various pathways to midwifery education.
When does the FSA program begin?
Program enrollment runs from October to mid-November. Applications for the 2018 cohort are no longer being accepted.
Desired FAM outcome
By June 30, 2018 there will be 5 – 7 student ambassadors enrolled in the inaugural program
Presently the program can accommodate up to 10 active ambassadors at a time.
FSA Skill Sets
- Proven passion surrounding health advocacy
- Interest in building and maintaining professional relationships within the midwifery and birth community
- Commitment to the FAM priorities
- Ability to think strategically, broadly, and outside the box
- Capacity to lead and inform others
- Cultural sensitivity/competency
- Obtaining 1 year of paid membership to the Midwives Alliance of North America (MANA), including access to all the benefits afforded a midwifery student member.
- Raising public awareness about the Midwives Model of Care.
- Advocating for a greatly improved maternity health care system.
- Expanding community support for the Birth Trust.
- Becoming a birth trustee and participating in FAM’s grant making process.
- Networking with midwives, midwifery associations, and their affiliates.
- Adding a button to your website or social media platform.
- Receiving recognition on the FAM website.
- Earning volunteer credits for your midwifery program if applicable.
Each FSA is strongly encouraged to make a commitment to play an action oriented role that includes raising a minimum of $240 for the Birth Trust over a consecutive 12 month period. This is the equivalent of securing one Birth Trustee. The FSA will be provided with a toolkit, technical support to help them get started, and fundraising ideas.
When an ambassador raises $240 they will receive a membership as a birth trustee for that grant year, associated benefits, and a FAM Birth Trustee t-shirt in recognition.
- Commit to be an ambassador for 1 calendar year
- Fulfill the FSA member responsibilities and tasks as outlined in the description, requirements, and any guidelines received during the application and/or orientation process.
- Attend a webinar based orientation
- Actively participate on quarterly FSA community calls, or listen to recorded calls shortly after
- Actively participate on a FAM Board call quarterly.
- Student Ambassadors are not authorized to use the FAM Student Ambassador title to support a legislative agenda not outlined by the Foundation for the Advancement of Midwifery.